Railway Line No. 6 Zielonka – Kuźnica Białostocka. 2025

Warszawa 2025-02-19

Railway Line No. 6.

Railway line. 2007. Photo Karol Placha Hetman
Railway line No 6. 2025. Work Karol Placha Hetman

Railway Line No. 6 together with LK No. 21, is the former route of the Warsaw-Petersburg Railway, within the borders of present-day Poland. LK No. 21 Wileński Station – Zielonka, while LK No. 6 is the Zielonka – Kuźnica Białostocka route. LK No. 6 is 224.163 km long, is electrified with 3 KV DC current. The line is double-track, but there are also four-track sections. Currently, from Białystok, the standard gauge line is single-track. The line is referred to as the international line E75 (I Pan-European Transport Corridor) connecting Warsaw with Helsinki. In Poland, the line is called “Rail Baltica”.

On September 2, 1933, the LK No. 449 link was launched, which connected the Warsaw Rembertów – Zielonka stations. The link is a double-track. The link allowed trains from Białystok to be directed directly to the cross-city route to the Warsaw Główna station (currently Warsaw Centralna) and further to southwestern Poland.

Many unguarded rail-road crossings were built on the Warsaw – Białystok line. Only road signs were placed, and trains have speed limits. This was the result of reducing the costs of construction and operation of the Warsaw – Petersburg Railway. These unguarded crossings result in a lower commercial speed of trains. Until the major modernization (2014-2019), the speed on the route was 120 km/h or 100 km/h. In 2010, an InterCity train covered the Warsaw – Białystok route in 2 hours 40 minutes. After major modernization in 2020, the train covers this distance in 1 hour 30 minutes.

Description of LK No. 6.

Zielonka junction station. There are 2 platforms and 3 edges. Behind the platforms the line crosses the Długa River. From this point there is LK No. 6. The line has 4 tracks and was named “Rail Baltic”. Before modernization there were only 2 tracks.

Kobyłka Ossów stop (17.43 km). A local road passes over the line in front of the stop. In the past, there was a guarded crossing behind the platforms. The platform is an island.

Kobyłka stop (19.33 km). The platform is an island, and the access was at the level of the tracks. Currently there is a tunnel and elevators. In front of the stop, a crossing under the tracks was built along Antoniego Orszagha Street. The crossing behind the platform was eliminated.

Wołomin station 21.48 km) launched on December 16, 1862. There was a single-storey station at the station. Of the historical buildings, a two-storey apartment block has survived. There was one island platform. Currently there are 2 platforms and 3 edges. There is a footbridge over the tracks.

Wołomin Słoneczna stop (22.83 km) launched on June 3, 1956. There is an island platform, and there were 2 single-edge platforms. Behind the platform there is a guarded railway crossing along Geodetów Street/Aleja Niepodległości. Behind the stop, the track is already 2-track, not 4-track. The line crosses the Czarna River.

Zagościniec stop (25.08 km) launched in 1928. There was an island platform, and there are 2 single-edge platforms set in a passing loop, separated by the Willowa Street crossing.

Dobczyn stop (27.75 km) launched on May 28, 1961. There is a station at the stop. The single-edge platforms were set opposite each other, and after modernization they are set in a passing loop, separated by a passage along Mazowiecka Street. Then the line crosses the Rządza River.

Klembów stop (31.03 km) opened in 1924. There was an island platform with a small station. After modernization, there are single-edge platforms set up as a passing loop. There is no station. There is a passage along Generała Franciszka Żymierskiego Street. Then LK No. 13 Krusze – Pilawa passes over the top.

Jasienica Mazowiecka stop (34.83 km) opened on May 28, 1961. There were 2 platforms opposite each other. There is a small station. Currently, the platforms are set up as a passing loop. The level crossing was eliminated and the street was led over the line. Then the line crosses the Cienka River. Before Tłuszcz station, LK No. 513 and No. 10 (Legionowo – Tłuszcz) join on the left.

Tłuszcz station (37.80 km) opened on December 16, 1862. After the modernization, the station has nine tracks, three island platforms (2-4). Platform No. 1 at the station was dismantled. There is a tunnel with stairs and elevators. There was a footbridge over the tracks. There is LCS Tłuszcz. A historic water tower has been preserved. There is a cemetery of defenders of the homeland from 1920 at the station. There are LK No. 6, 10, 29, 513 at the station. There is a rolling stock repair plant in Tłuszcz. Behind the station, LK No. 29 to Ostrołęka departs north.

Chrzęsne stop (41.08 km) launched on May 29, 1983. Currently, there are two single-edge platforms set in a passing loop, separated by a crossing along Przystankowa/Wincentyna Karskiej Street.

Mokra Wieś stop (43.15 km) launched on October 8, 1950. Currently, there are 2 single-edge platforms set in a passing loop. Previously, there were platforms opposite each other. There is a crossing along the local road. Further above the line runs DW No. 636.

Szewnica stop (48.33 km) launched on October 13, 2014. There are two single-edge platforms set for a passing loop. In 2018, the local Mazowiecka street was built under the railway line.

Urle stop (53.15 km) launched in 1862, under the name Zamoyskiego. The current name has been in force since 1918. There is a small station at the stop and 2 single-edge platforms set for a passing loop. Further on the line crosses the Leniwiec River. Currently, it is a reinforced concrete bridge.

Barchów stop (55.20 km) launched on May 30, 1976. There is a small station at the stop. There are 2 single-edge platforms set for a passing loop. There is a passage along Łochowska Street.

Łochów station (58.48 km) opened in 1862. A brick, single-storey station with seven axles was built. The station was destroyed and rebuilt. Currently, the station is two-storey, five-axle and has been renovated. There were 2 platforms and 3 edges. In 1954, a water tower was built. A footbridge over the tracks was built. During a major renovation of Łochów station (2014-2019), new high platforms, a new track layout, an underground passage were built, and the station was renovated. The footbridge over the tracks was eliminated. The crossing was eliminated and a viaduct over the line was built along Wyszkowska Street. Behind the station, along Stefana Żeromskiego/Baczkowska Street, the guarded crossing was eliminated and a tunnel for pedestrians and cyclists was built. Further on the line there is a viaduct over the tracks and DW No. 50. Previously there was an unguarded rail-road crossing. At 63 km there is another unguarded crossing.

Ostrówek Węgrowski stop (63.62 km) opened in May 1926. Two single-edge platforms were built, opposite each other. Currently, the new platforms are set in a passing loop. There is a tunnel for cyclists and pedestrians between the platforms. At 65.67, there was the already liquidated Wielgie stop. There is an unguarded crossing here. At 67 km there is another unguarded crossing. At 68 km, the line crosses the Dzięciołek River.

Topór stop (68.68 km) opened on May 31, 1959. There are 2 single-edge platforms opposite each other. They are separated by an automatic guarded crossing. There was a small station, which was demolished. Further on, on DK No. 50, a viaduct was built over the tracks. Further on, at 70 km, the line crosses the Ugoszcza River. At 71 km, there is an unguarded crossing.

Sadowne Węgrowskie station (72.48 km), and the current stop was opened on June 9, 2019. The stop serves as a passing loop. There are 2 single-edge platforms opposite each other. Previously, there was an island platform, but located 500 m away. In 2019, there were shape semaphores here, replaced by light semaphores. There is a signal box here, and next to it a guarded crossing. In the north-eastern head there is a building of the inactive executive signal box. There is a traction substation at the station. At 74 km there is an unguarded crossing. At 75 km the line crosses the Bojewka River. At 75, 77 km there are more unguarded crossings.

Prostyń stop (81.70 km) opened on August 25, 1948. A small single-storey brick station was built. There are 2 single-edge platforms set for a passing loop. In between there is a guarded crossing along Prymasa Tysiąclecia Street. At 83.58 km there was a stop Prostyń Bug, currently a checkpoint. This was related to the fact that there was one bridge over the Bug River. During the major modernization, two new bridges were built over the Bug. At 84 km there is a bridge. There are two truss bridges, each five-span. Two supports are in the riverbed, and the rest on dry land. There used to be a station behind the bridge, now it does not exist. At 87 km there is an unguarded crossing. At 87.5 km there is a guarded crossing operated by a crossing keeper, which in 2020 was rebuilt into a viaduct over the tracks (Ostrowska Street).

Małkinia junction station (87.96 km) launched on December 16, 1862. The station has LK No. 6 and No. 34/55 Ostrołęka – Siedlce. A single-storey station, water tower, warehouses, storage yards, accommodation and others were built at the station. Later, a second water tower was built, which is identical to the water tower in Czyżewo and Małaszewicze. The city grew around the station. At the beginning of the 20th century, shape semaphores were installed. The track layout resulted in 3 platforms at the station, of which Platform 3 is at LK No. 34/55 Ostrołęka – Siedlce. A footbridge was built over the tracks. There was also a second footbridge for residents and travelers with the beginning of the platforms. The last renovation of both footbridges was carried out in 2012. Throughout its history, the station was destroyed as a result of warfare. The station was a one-story temporary barracks. In 2012, a new two-story station was built, with the Mazowieckie Railways ticket office and a waiting room. Formerly, the Małkinia station was the site of the Rolling Stock and Infrastructure Repair Plant. For many decades, only one track ran from the bridge over the Bug to the Małkinia station. In 2020, a new second track was launched. In 2019, a new Local Control Center was launched. In 2021, a road viaduct was built along DW No. 694 and 627. During the major renovation, new platforms and a tunnel under the tracks were built at the station. Sidings branch off from the station, including to the RockWool Polska factory. For 90 years, the role of the Małkinia station has been decreasing and currently many railway facilities and buildings are abandoned. At 89 km, after the station, LK No. 34/55 passes over line No. 6, single-track, non-electrified. In principle, the station ends at 90 km of the line. At 90.5 km there is an automatic guarded crossing. There are further unguarded crossings; 92, 93, 94 km.

Zaręby Kościelne stop (96.24 km) was built in 1923, under the name Zaremby. The current name has been in force since 1948. It used to be a block post and a passing loop. Currently, there are 2 single-edge platforms set up for a passing loop, separated by a guarded crossing along the local street. There is a small station here. There is another unguarded crossing at 98 km.

Kietlanka stop (99.19 km) launched on May 31, 1987. There are two single-edge platforms set up for a passing loop, separated by a local road with an unguarded crossing. Previously, the platforms were opposite each other. There was a small station building. In 2019, switches were installed behind the stop to change the train from track No. 1 to No. 2 and vice versa. There are unguarded crossings at km 100 and 101.

Szulborze Wielkie stop (102.96 km) launched in May 1929, as Szulborze. Since 1950, the name Szulborze Koty has been in force, and since 2018, Szulborze Wielkie. A small station was built here. There are two single-edge platforms set in a passing loop, separated by a local road with an automatic guarded crossing, along Kardynała Stefana Wyszyńskiego Street. There are further unguarded crossings: 104, 105, 108, 109 km. At km 107 there is a crossing guarded by traffic lights. At km 109, the line crosses the Siennica River. We are approaching the town of Czyżew. At 110 km the line passes over DK No. 63. Further on there is another guarded crossing along Kolejowa Street. Further on there is a new viaduct over the line along DW No. 690.

Czyżew station (111.84 km) launched on December 16, 1862. A station, storage yards, a ramp, warehouses and others were built. A single-storey, seven-axle station. The last renovation was carried out in 2010. Inside is the Museum of the Czyżew Land. The water tower is identical to the one in Małkinia. Currently, there are light semaphores at the station. In 2022, the Local Control Center was built. The station was renovated in 2021-2023. Two new covered platforms and an underground passage were built. The track system was rebuilt. At the station, there is a covered freight wagon with characteristic equipment (a bunk, a goat-type stove, a washing bowl, boxes), which is a monument in tribute to the Siberian exiles. Next to the wagon stands a lantern stylized in the 19th century. There are unguarded crossings at 114, 115, 116 km. Kity stop (118.10 km) opened in May 1928. A small station was built. After the last major renovation, the local road was opened on a viaduct, from which stairs and ramps were made to two single-edge platforms. Further on there are unguarded crossings: 116, 119, 120 km.

Dąbrowa Łazy stop (120.73 km) opened on May 31, 1987. A small station was built. Currently there are 2 single-edge platforms set up as a passing loop. After the major renovation, the local road was opened on a viaduct, from which stairs and ramps were made to the platforms. Further on there are unguarded crossings: 122, 123, 125 km. On 124, 126 km there are automatic guarded crossings.

Szepietowo station (127.37 km) launched on December 16, 1862. A single-story, seven-axle station was built, which was destroyed as a result of World War. A ramp, storage yard, and warehouse were built at the station. Later, a footbridge was built over the tracks. There were three platforms. On May 1, 1919, the first Polish crew of the station erected a commemorative crucifix of Free Poland. A new station was built on the old foundations. A footbridge over the tracks was built with access to three platforms. The last renovation of the station was carried out in the period 2019-2022. There are 2 covered platforms and 3 edges. A tunnel for travelers and residents was built. The old footbridge was dismantled. There is a Szepietowo traction substation at the station. Further on, there are more unguarded crossings: 129, 130 km. At 130 km, the line crosses the Mianka River. Szymbory stop (132.36 km) launched on September 29, 1957. Currently, there are two single-edge platforms set up as a passing loop. A local road runs above it, and from it there are stairs and ramps to the platforms. There are further unguarded crossings: 133, 134 km.

Jabłoń Kościelna stop (135.82 km) launched on October 7, 1951. A small station was built. There are two single-edge platforms. A viaduct of the local road runs above the platforms. There are further unguarded crossings: 136, 137, 138 km.

Racibory station (140.47 km) launched in 1911. A small station was built. In the period 2022-2024, the station was renovated. A new station, two new covered platforms and a tunnel were built. The crossing at the station was automatically guarded, but it was replaced by a viaduct over the tracks. Further on there are more unguarded crossings: 142, 143, 144, 145 km.

Zdrody Nowe stop (146.09 km) opened in 1938. A small station, a road crossing guardhouse and two platforms were built. After a major renovation, the local road was opened with a viaduct over the tracks. The platforms were set up as a passing loop. There are more unguarded crossings: 147, 148, 149 km.

Łapy Osse stop (150.45 km) opened on 15 May 1935. A small station and two single-edge platforms were built. Currently, a local road viaduct runs above the station. The town of Łapy Osse is known for its housing estate for railway families. At 152 km, the DW No. 681 viaduct, Brańska Street, runs above the line.

Łapy station (154.03 km) opened on 16 December 1862. A station, storage yards, warehouses, railway workshops, wagon halls and others were built. The station was two-storey and 13-axle. It was the largest building in the town. A water tower with a double tank was built. Multi-family houses for railway families were also built. In August 1944, the station was destroyed. Only the tower from the beginning of the 20th century survived. The station was rebuilt on the old foundations in a modernist style. A large roof was placed above the entrance. A footbridge was built over the tracks. There is another footbridge for residents at the station. Currently, the “Krzyż Kolejarski” stands on the station premises, in front of the entrance to ZNTK. In the period 2020-2025, a major renovation of the station was carried out. Two new covered platforms were built. In front of the platforms, on the 153 km of the line, a single-track route from Ostrołęka runs. Behind the station there was a guarded crossing, which was rebuilt to a crossing under the tracks. Further on there is a bridge over the Narwa River. There are two separate bridges for each track, three-span, truss.

Uhowo stop (156.43 km) launched on May 20, 1951. A single-storey, 5-axle station was built. Initially, there was an island platform. Currently, there are two single-edge platforms located opposite each other.

Bojary stop (160.10 km) launched on May 20, 1951. A small station was built. There are 2 single-edge platforms set in a passing loop, separated by an unguarded crossing. It was planned to make a tunnel for travelers under the tracks. In 2007, the abandoned station was demolished. At 162 km the line crosses the Turśnianka River.

Baciuty station (163.25 km) launched on May 15, 1936. A small station was built, which currently only serves as a crossing guard. In 2023, during a major renovation, DW No. 678, Białostocka Street was carried out under the tracks. At 164 km there is a guarded crossing with traffic lights. At 165 km there is an unguarded crossing.

Tryputie stop (167.06 km) launched in October 1946. There are 2 single-edge platforms set up for a passing loop. The old crossing, which was guarded by a crossing keeper, was eliminated, and a viaduct over the tracks was built in the distance.

Niewodnica stop (168.99 km) launched on May 15, 1931. In 2023, the stop was renovated. The guarded crossing was eliminated, and Dąbrowskiego Street after the viaduct was relocated under the tracks.

Klepacze stop (172.15 km) launched in 1948. A small brick station was built. The local Kolejowa street passes under the tracks. At 172.5 km, the expanded Białystok railway junction begins. On the north-west side, LK No. 516 Turczyn (Klepacze) – Białystok Starosielce departs. At 173.57 km, the Białystok Wiadukt stop was eliminated, towards Białystok. The LK No. 515 Białystok – Białystok Starosielce runs along the mountain, single-track electrified. At 173.80 km there was a stop in Słobódka, towards Warsaw.

Białystok Zielone Wzgórza stop (174.28 km) launched in 2021. This stop eliminated other stops in the area and made it easier for passengers to move. There are 4 platform edges here, which are connected by tunnels. The platforms are in the vicinity of DW No. 669, Aleja Niepodległości. At 175 km, the line is joined by a connecting road on the south and north sides. On the south side there is a freight station. At 175.5 km, the General August Emil Fieldorf Nil Tunnel passes under the track. Further on, on the south side there are: railway workshops, locomotive shed, signal boxes, water tower. On the north side there is the new Local Control Center Białystok. Until recently, there was a lot of shape signaling at the freight station.

Białystok station (177.30 km) launched on December 16, 1862. A large, but single-story station was built. Around 1900, the station was expanded. The locomotive shed was also expanded. The station was destroyed during the Great World War and rebuilt in 1917. The last renovation of the station was carried out in 2019. In 1981, a plaque was placed at the station in memory of the railway workers who died during World War II. In 2003, a plaque was placed at the station in memory of Józef Piłsudski, the First Marshal of Poland. After 1945, a footbridge was built over the platforms and tracks. In addition to 4 passenger platforms, the station also had postal platforms. Platform 2 was a former postal platform. Since 2021, a major renovation of the platforms and track system has been carried out. A beautiful platform hall was built.

Currently (2025) work is underway on LK No. 6 on the Białystok – Kuźnica section, which is single-track, electrified.

The line runs under DW No. 676, Jana Henryka Dąbrowskiego Street, Błogosławionego Księdza Michała Sopoćki Street. The line crosses the Biała River. The line runs under DK No. 8 and 65, Generała Stanisława Mączka Street. The line then runs under DK No. 8 and 19, Aleja Tysiąclecie Państwa Polskiego Street. The line crosses the Supraśl River.

Wasilków station (185.15 km) launched in 1910. A station connected to a signal box was built. There were two platforms. Since 2021, a major renovation of the station is underway. In 2022, a new station and a new signal box were put into service. There is a guarded crossing in front of the platforms. The line then crosses the Czarna River. The line crosses DK No. 19.

Czarny Blok station, passing loop (191.27 km) launched in 1910. A small station with a signal box was built. The last renovation was carried out in 2020. There is a traction substation Czarny Blok here.

Wólka Ratowiecka stop (195.28 km) launched on June 2, 1985. There is one platform edge here. A small station was built, which is abandoned.

Czarna Białostocka station (199.17 km) launched on December 16, 1862. A station was built, which did not survive the wars. A small station was built, which is connected to the signal box. There is a footbridge over the tracks. There is an island platform. Behind the platforms there is a guarded passage along Marszała Józefa Piłsudskiego Street.

Machnacz passing station (203.11 km) launched on May 30, 1965. A small station was built. Further on, the line crosses the Jałówka River.

Rozedranka stop (207.52 km) launched in 1915. There is one platform edge. The passage along the local road is automatically guarded. The line crosses the Sokoła River.

Geniusze station (212.88 km) launched in 1911. It was a large junction station; LK No. 6 and LK No. 57 Kuźnica Białostocka – Geniusze (broad gauge). Further on, the line crosses DK No. 19, Białostocka Street in Sokółka.

Sokółka junction station (218.52 km) launched on December 16, 1862. There are LK No. 6, 40 Sokółka – Suwałki, 57 Kuźnica Białostocka – Geniusze (broad gauge) and railway sidings. Three-storey station, without style, rebuilt after numerous destructions. Initially 8-axle, single-storey, covered with a high roof. The upper floors are occupied by apartments. There are 4 platform edges at the station. The line is then double-track, but one track is wide. The wide track is LK No. 57 Kuźnica Białostocka – Gienusze.

Kundzin stop (225.58 km) launched in 1910. A two-storey building was built. There are two platform edges at the station.

INBAP Terminal Czuprynowo (227.83 km). The terminal was opened in 2012, under the name Łosośna CI. The current name has been in effect since 2023.

Krex Czuprynowo stop (228.32 km) launched in August 2006. There is one platform edge at the standard track.

Kuźnica Białostocka station (234.63 km) opened on 16 December 1862, but there are doubts about the date. The current station building was built after 1945. There is a water tower at the station. In 2006-2007, the track was renovated. Two new platforms were built on the standard tracks. A viaduct was built over the tracks along Sidrzańska Street. A new dual carriageway road is planned to be built to the Poland-Belarus border crossing. The standard gauge track ends at the Kuźnica Białostocka station. The railway line crosses the state border at 238.57 km.

Electrification.

A statement by one of the Polish communists concerning the electrification of the railways has been preserved: “Despite the enormous successes and superiority of Soviet electrification technologies, our big brother, for now, cannot help in the reconstruction of the Warsaw railway junction, because he has a lot to do at home.” This position of Moscow allowed Poland to establish cooperation with the UK and Sweden.

On June 23, 1949, the first post-war railway bridge over the Vistula River was put into service, connecting both sides of Warsaw. At that time, the first electric trains from Mińsk Mazowiecki and Otwock reached the above-ground station Warszawa Śródmieście on Emilii Plater Street.

On March 23, 1952, two more railway sections were electrified; Warszawa Wileńska – Tłuszcz, 35 km long, towards Białystok and the Zielonka – Rembertów link, 9 km long. It was an important investment that connected Tłuszcz with the cross-town line.

The next decades of electrification bypassed the route towards Białystok. However, other works in eastern Poland continued. Due to the change of Poland’s eastern border, some of the railway lines ended up in the Muscovite state. The railway line to Augustów and Suwałki ran from Grodno, which was now outside Poland. Therefore, in 1963, a new line was built. From the Warsaw – Białystok – Kuźnica line, a line was built from Sokółka through Dąbrowa Białostocka to Augustów and further to Suwałki.

In 1972, from the Tłuszcz station, the electrification of the line was carried out westwards, through Krusze – Radzymin – Wieliszew – Legionowo.

In 1982, the LK Tłuszcz – Rybienko – Wyszków – Ostrołęka was electrified northwards.

Already on 13 April 1952, the section Dworzec Wileński – Zielonka – Wołomin – Tłuszcz was electrified. The following sections were electrified; Tłuszcz – Łochów on 22 December 1981. Łochów – Małkinia on 10 December 1982. Małkinia – Czyżew on 31 March 1983. Czyżew – Szepietowo on 30 June 1983. Szepietowo – Łapy on 29 September 1983. Łapy – Białystok on 3 April 1983. Białystok – Kuźnica Białostocka on 10 September 1986.

The electrification of the entire Polish section of the historical Petersburg – Warsaw Railway Line was completed on 10 September 1986, when the first special electric train reached the border station of Kuźnica Białostocka from Warsaw. The line was 199 km long at that time, and let us recall that the entire historical route was 1,330 km long.

SHP devices and SBL (Automatic Line Block) semaphores were installed on the line. SBL semaphores were installed in the period 1983-1985. After the last modernization of the line (2013-2020), the design speed of the route is 200 km/h. After the last modernization, the number of passengers transported is growing year by year. On the Warsaw – Białystok section, in 2023, the number of passengers increased to 133% compared to the previous year. InterCity trains cover the distance of 180 km, Warsaw – Białystok in 90 minutes. The full speed of 200 km/h cannot be used yet, but on the entire length of the route, trains can travel at a speed of 160 km/h.

In addition to the route, the largest renovation was carried out at the Białystok station. The investment at the Białystok station was carried out by PKP PLK. Passengers can use the facilities: escalators, elevators, and the entire station is adapted to the needs of disabled people. The station has new high platforms. All platforms have been roofed. The historic PKP station in Białystok has been renovated and its historical appearance has been restored.

Written by Karol Placha Hetman

Kategorie: